Manchester City and Financial Fair Play
What is Financial Fair Play?
- UEFA say losses can be a total £30 million over 3 years
- The PL say losses can be a total of £105 million over 3 years
- The Championship say losses can be a total of £39 million over 3 years
- The investigation looked at evidence from certain years it should not have (because MCFC and UEFA already had a ‘settlement agreement’ relating to those years).
- The alleged breaches happened over 5 years ago which creates an issue over time limitations for prosecution.
- The fact that the evidence potentially used by UEFA came from leaked sources means it is not reliable and therefore not admissible.
- There was an issue with further leaks from within UEFA to various media outlets about the ongoing investigation which may have affected the procedure and the impartiality of judgments.
- The proportionality of the ban (a two-year ban might be excessive, as was the case when AC Milan appealed against their judgment from UEFA, however, the facts were different, and this may not be the same for MCFC).